Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Day One @ SSP

It was around 5.30 pm when my parents left. I composed myself and tried to cook up a conversation with Budha. He seemed to be a really well mannered good boy, and was from a place close to my hometown. My cousin Rajuda helped me out with the marker to write my Roll No. on the collar of every dress so that Dhobi doesn't misplace them during the wash - after all there were around 600 resident students with similar dresses.

At around 7.30 pm, the Mess bell rang for Dinner. It being a Saturday, the Dinner was scheduled an hour before the normal time. I tied my shoe lace and came out of my room. The noise from the neighbouring B3 occupied by Class VII boys caught my attention and I took the liberty of just looking through the window while walking down the corridor, and there came an order, "Hey you, come here". I walked into the room without seeking any permission, stood in front of the angry looking guy, and Thud!! A hard slap on my face greeted me 'Welcome to Sainik School Purulia!!'. I was left searching for an expression and was still trying to figure out the reason of that physical abuse, and a series of questions confronted me, "Why were you looking through the window? Why did you not seek permission before entering a seniors' room? Have you not been trained in manners at SSP? What is your name? When did you join? Did you attend todays' Parade?" etc etc.

Before I could speak, a senior bailed me out by saying that my cousin Rajuda is his close friend. Suddenly, the same senior who slapped me changed his mood and tried to pacify and be friendly with me. I was just standing speechless wondering what was in store for me in the days to come! He introduced himself as Avinash Verma from Jamshedpur, a Class XI student and the Prefect of the House. We started moving towards the Mess, and on the way he kept telling me about the numerous rules and regulations that needs to be followed within the SSP premises, and one worth noting being 'One class senior is God, a class junior is Dog!'

I sat on a chair next to him, occasionally sobbing and could somehow manage to finish my Dinner. After dinner, I changed to sleeping suit and started waiting for everyone to sleep. New boys were busy arranging their cupboards, showing off their Hockey Sticks and other playing items to their new friends. It was 10 pm when the Hostel Superintendent Mr. Mathai visited the room with a NCC stick in his hand and a scary face and said, "Aain yaar, make sure you switch off the room lights at 10.30, else you'll see the fun".

The day ended, but I remember waking up next in the Hospital. Whatever be the reason, high temperature gripped me that night and my cousin had admitted me to the school hospital.

No comments: